Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Merging Servers Killed Open World PvP

After the Wiccana server merged and became Set Funcom offered free transfers. Many people jumped on this opportunity. I already had my barbarian "Ragnarvor" on Set in hopes of experiencing raid content not possible for me to do on Tyranny.

What happened was Guild Wars 2 came out and the Tyranny server virtually died. My guild, which I had been part of for two years, slowly lost its population (we started a guild in GW2 on Sorrows Furnace server). Many of our members went to Set server. I moved one of my Guardians "Ragsguard" used to be "Rragnar" and my sin "Ragnarx".



Moving my sin was a hard move for me because I love open world pvp. The fact is though, there is really no open world pvp anymore. The Red Nails were bringing it, but it became crazy with almost everyone on the server joining only two guilds = Req Nex and Acos. They have a raid alliance, so they have no open world pvp. Since Red Nails only had a couple players bringing it: Ripstart, Ty, Romad, Unnatural and myself, it was very easy to zerg us down. But....we made them pay.





For more videos go here


I hope that there is someway to revive open world pvp. It is an aspect of the game that can be enjoyable. Maybe not when you are questing and you end up in pvp when you might not necessarily want it (but thats why you sign for a pvp server).

I'm looking forward to the new mini map, and maybe one day there will be a merge of some kind that will unite the players once more so we can enjoy open world once more. 









2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Interesting perspectives. I will be honest, I am mostly PvE orientated, but I do miss open world PvP. My best times were back in the day prior to the server merge of Tyranny and Cimmeria. No one really got awards or open world pvp in Cimmeria, but God did we have some wicked fights in the outskirts of Tesso and Conarch Valley.

      I do agree the free transfers really screwed things up. One thing I would like to point out, it is common for folks to always want to be on the winning team, this creates an atmosphere of super guild empires. Even back in 09-10 there were very few pvp guilds because of the mega guild complex. I bet if FC had put a member cap on all guilds, say no more than 100...you would have far more competitive guilds in the pvp zone. I say this in comparing it to sports teams. hell if one football team had say 500 players and could field them at anytime, then the other leagues would force to either have same numbers, or ail as a team. Common sense. But that is only one opinion on an ongoing problem.

      Delete